The current medical library that occupies the 1st floor of the Forest J. Grunigen, M.D. Library and Medical Education Center building was completed in 1984. The medical library underwent a major expansion and renovaton project in 1995, increasing study and computer space and creating the Information Technology Center. In 2001 the library was renamed the Forest J. Grunigen, M.D. Medical Library in honor of Dr. Forest Grunigen (1905-1999), UC Irvine School of Medicine founder, graduate, professor, and alumni.
As the largest medical library in Orange County, the Grunigen Medical Library serves the healthcare information needs of the UC Irvine Medical Center and College of Health Sciences, as well as providing service to area physicians, healthcare professionals and students, medical libraries, and the public.